Seafood is a crucial source of nutrition and income for many people and communities worldwide. Consuming sustainable seafood contributes to the maintenance of the fish population and the health of the marine environment, as well as the preservation of employment opportunities and food supplies.
What is sustainable seafood?
Sustainable seafood has been caught or raised sustainably to maintain stable fishing communities, healthy ocean ecosystems, and productive fisheries. Sustainability is crucial given that about 90% of fish populations are overfished or entirely fished out and that the remaining 10% of underfished stocks have been steadily declining since 1974. The world’s oceans are under significant stress due to humans’ increased consumption of seafood.
So, how do you know whether your favorite restaurants, like Milwalky Trace, use sustainable seafood? Although there is no single definition of what constitutes sustainable seafood, numerous organizations and governments have set guidelines and rules. Sustainable seafood should have the following features:
- Come from wholesome populations. Fisheries should target wholesome wild-caught or farmed fish supplies when catching seafood.
- Caught with minor damage. The marine ecosystem should be as little affected as possible when engaging in sustainable fishing. Some organizations refer to this as reducing environmental harm and bycatching undesired species.
- Come from controlled locations. Fishing for sustainable seafood needs to take place in sustainably managed waters. Harvesting seafood in amounts that allow the population to develop and reproduce is essential. These ideas allow for the theoretical possibility of sustainable fisheries, irrespective of the fishing operation’s type, scale, or location.
How to select sustainable fish
You must learn about a few crucial procedures to recognize sustainable seafood sources.
Purchase seafood from particular sources
Examine the packaging of the fish before purchasing it to find out where it came from. Some nations lead the world in sustainable seafood and have outstanding fishery management. These include:
- States of America
- In New Zealand
Purchase seafood from licensed merchants.
Purchase fish from producers who have sustainability certification. When a fishery receives one of these certifications, it typically means that it has undergone an inspection for ethical fishing practices, which are crucial for popular fish. But not all certificates are exhaustive. Some merely use greenwashing marketing techniques without following any stringent rules.
Enquire from your vendor.
When purchasing fresh fish, inquire further from the vendor. Fresh seafood is free from labeling regulations, and farmed fish may occasionally be expensively sold as wild fish. Red snapper, basa, and farmed salmon are frequently sold as grouper, tilapia, red snapper, and basa. Before making a purchase, inquire about the following:
- Is this farm-raised or wild-caught?
- From what nation is this?
- Does this fish match the description on the packaging?
- Are these seafood populations in good shape?
Consume a wide range of seafood.
It’s simple to become stuck eating the same foods repeatedly. This is a bad notion with seafood because the industry has to fish more of a particular species the more we desire it. Try a fish you’ve never tasted before the next time you’re shopping for dinner. Remember that popular fish got popular due to commercial overfishing.